Sunday 21 June 2009

Day Two

Ok, so it's not really day 2, it's more like day 3, but I won't be able to go out every night/upload onto here every night. So I'll have to do it in whatever free time I have possible =]

Right, so tonight was absolutely awful for photos, I just didn't get any nice ones at all, but I did see and hear a lot. On the walk down I heard something rustling in one of the ditches, I made a noise to try and see what it was and I saw it move upwards and into the field, then a fox starting leaping through the field =] This was a huge fox though, and because it was getting dark and I couldn't see it's tail properly, I thought it was a giant hare! Silly me.

After I had gone walking around the barn again [the owls had flown off at the sound of me coming, again =( ], I had another look at the badger set, I'm pretty sure something was still using it, as I saw paw prints in the dust =]



After having a look around I went and sat patiently for the owls to return. It was still quite light so I was enjoying the scenery, and that's when I spotted a Kestrel in the distance. I walked as close as I could to it, which was still nowhere near close enough, but I got a few silhouettes.


I lost sight of the Kestrel, and then darkness fell, so I decided to head back to the barn. The owls had returned, and the sound of my footsteps on the small stones seemed to frighten them off again. Only one flew though, and even then it didn't fly very far, it went and sat on top of a telephone pole in the distance. Only when I walked round the side to sit myself down and wait for it's return did the other fly off.

That's when I heard them calling to each other. Barn Owls are mostly silent, however when they do call it is a loud screech. I can honestly say, being sat in a field, in darkness, with no other noise whatsoever [apart from a few more animals in the distance], that it is without a doubt one of the most haunting, yet amazing noises, ever to exist =]

They kept flying to and from the barn, so silently, I couldn't keep track of them! So here are some pictures from tonight's events...

Please excuse the shockingly bad photos, I can't seem to focus well in the dark. That's something I need to practice! I will show them anyway, after all, it is all going towards my research in the end =]


^ On the pole in the distance

^ In the top right corner, flying in

^ I thought he looked like a bat!

No comments:

Post a Comment